Despite what might be considered setbacks for the programmatic industry in 2017, like the YouTube ad controversy and the constant battle against “bots” and “ad fraud” – more and more marketers are investing in programmatic advertising. eMarketer estimates nearly four of every five US digital advertising display dollars will have been transacted programmatically in 2017, totaling $32.56 billion. For 2018, programmatic digital display ad spending will climb to $39.46 billion, with 80% of mobile display ads being purchased programmatically — that’s up 21% from 2017.
So marketers can’t afford to not get on the programmatic bandwagon, if they want to be effective in getting their brand out in front of customers and prospects, the Holiday Season is prime-time for getting a running start.
6 Reasons You Should be Buying Programmatically ASAP
1. The world of advertising is moving towards Automation. With more of the advertising display dollars being spent programmatic platforms than any other method, and huge advancements in ad technology, brands who continue to buy ads manually will fall behind their competitors who choose automation.
2. Personalization is now achievable though Programmatic. Personalizing your marketing has always been a goal but now it’s a real thing through programmatic targeting tactics like geolocation, in-depth demographics information and dayparting, for example. And also more consumers are accepting of and are feeling more positively about a brand when their ads are personalized.
3. More Data! With marketers being tasked to analyze and optimize on hundreds of different data points about their users, programmatic platforms can use this data to create detailed behavioral profiles of existing customers and even prospects. This data can then be used to enable tactics like lookalike modeling and contextual targeting which gives advertisers the ability to create a more personalized media plan for their Holiday campaigns.
4. Dynamic Creative Optimization (DCO) really works. DCO technology enables marketers to use programmatic platforms to deliver on the promise of serving relevant and custom advertising to the consumer and capture their attention. This also gives marketers the opportunity to have their best performing creative be served more often. Studies have shown that DCO ads can have up to 50% higher post-click conversion rates over standard display ads – delivering overall better results than non-dynamic creative.
5. Make Storytelling a reality by reaching the right audience. Today’s customer expects a journey, an experience, a story from their advertiser or brand. With the accuracy of programmatic targeting and the sophistication of ad-tech platforms, there is finally the potential to deliver this.
6. More scale equals more opportunity. With more consumers adopting ad blockers, every opportunity to get in front of potential consumers needs to be maximized. Programmatic provides the scale that most marketers need to get in front of the right consumers at the right time, especially during the Holiday season.
Anyone in the marketing role knows that the holidays are a crucial time for ads, which means that the market is flooded with advertising, but not all of it is optimized for the best results. In addition to getting on the programmatic bandwagon, here are some other things marketers should be thinking about:
- Creative eye-catching images and well-written ad copy that is most relevant to your target audience.
- Your ad should directly link to the product you want to sell, saving time for the customer.
- Have a strong call-to-action; make it time-sensitive!
To find out more about programmatic buying tactics and shopping habits this 2017 Holiday season download Digilant’s ‘Holiday and Consumer Shopping Report.’