We’re in the midst of a revolution in how we search for information. Rather than typing out a question, people are turning more and more to voice searches. This new trend stems from three primary sources:
- Voice search is faster than typing. Surprisingly, even voice search results might be faster than typed searches. A study by Backlinkorevealed that a voice search takes a quick 4.6 seconds to load a results page, while a standard typed search comes in at a sluggish 8.8 seconds.
- The responses of voice assistants have vastly improved since the onset of voice search. PwC reportsthat with the development of voice search optimization, over 93% of users are satisfied with the accuracy and speed of their voice assistants.
- Voice assistants have expanded beyond phones. Microsoftreports that almost three-quarters of all U.S. households will eventually own at least one smart speaker.
For those looking to level up their SEO initiatives, incorporating and considering the trends behind voice search can be incredibly effective.
How to Optimize Content for Voice Search
The question here for brands is how to optimize content for voice search so that your listing is the answer offered to the consumer. When consumers ask a voice assistant a question, it uses rankings to select an answer. Elements like SEO, Google rankings, Yelp reviews, and proximity-based data are all utilized when the voice assistant searches for answers.
While working on your Yelp rankings is an excellent long-term strategy for your brand, it’s far more effective to optimize your content. A straightforward approach to increase SEO for voice search is by providing content that answers common questions consumers might ask their assistants.
Consider industry-specific questions consumers might ask, such as:
- What is the best cleaning product for carpet stains?
- Where is the best burger restaurant near me?
- Find a chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Answering specific questions in your content can help voice search more effectively find your solutions and boost your brand recognition.
As voice assistants continue to improve, shopping-enabled features will make SEO optimization for voice search even more important. Picture this: A voice assistant user has asked, “Where can I buy a hammer?” Not only does the search offer a location, but it also queries whether the user would like to purchase the product online or add it to their cart — effectively simplifying the entire shopping experience.
How Can You Integrate SEO Into Your Voice Search Campaigns?
Including voice search considerations in your SEO efforts increases the likelihood that your product or service will be offered up to the consumer. As such, there are several strategies that Digilant has developed for successful SEO. Consider the following tips to boost your voice search optimization efforts:
1. Think in topic clusters.
Most AI determines what questions it can answer by examining the main topics on a website, making topic clusters an effective tool when optimizing your content and information.
For example, a healthcare clinic could write an informative article about “how to choose the right doctor for me.” This blog post would provide high-level information that includes all potential patients. From there, the clinic could extend this topic cluster by providing specific information about different kinds of doctors and service lines.
2. Focus on featured snippets.
Featured snippets are lists of questions related to your initial search that appear at the top of a page in Google. Right now, featured snippets are an SEO goldmine. Not only are they the first result users see, but (if your content is good enough) the first part of your answer might also be displayed, linking the consumer directly to your site.
How does voice search come into play here? Voice searches tend to be longer than typed queries and use more natural question structures. By aligning your answers with those that Google uses for a question, your answer is more likely to be the featured snippet that’s read aloud by the voice assistant.
3. Prioritize simple technical adjustments.
There are a handful of more technical improvements and adjustments that can be made when streamlining your content toward voice search trends. Ensure you’re set up for success by accomplishing the following:
- Create a Google Business Profile.
- Ensure your site is mobile-friendly, as 20%of all mobile queries are made using voice search.
- Check your site’s load speed.
- Consider how you can incorporate videos into your strategy, as they are also apt to rank in voice searches.
- Tailor your content toward a multilingual audience if that applies to your business.
What Does the Future of Voice Search Look Like?
Simplifying the purchase process is the way of the future. Remember the example above? Some outlets and businesses already offer this service. Amazon devices, for instance, already use this feature.
Digilant has developed strategies and resources to bring clients the most current marketing tools, as we’ve been studying how voice search is changing SEO. At Digilant, we constantly evaluate our partnerships to ensure we have the best data and targeting options for our clients. This includes ensuring our campaign analysts and media strategists are up-to-date on the most successful strategies to win voice assistant selection.
Additionally, we have tangible solutions that advertisers can implement when voice search marketing is a top priority. For brands looking to use our digital marketing services, this includes:
- Advanced audio solutionsto specifically target ads across smart speakers like Amazon Echo, Sonos, and Google Nest.
- SEO and SEM strategists who can tailor your content based on current trends.
- Strategic partnerships with the top providers of voice assistants: Google and Amazon.
If you’re ready to see how Digilant can take your voice search optimization to the next level, contact our team today. We’d be happy to help!